Thursday, March 14, 2013

On Inspiration: How To Find Your Story


This post is adapted from the presentation I give when I speak at schools. I added this topic to my presentation after I started receiving a good many emails from students telling me they wanted to write a story, but had trouble coming up with an idea that was fresh and interesting.

If you're a writer just starting out, that can be really tough. I know it was for me. It took me years to separate my ideas from the books I read, to move into a place where my inspiration became original and personal, instead of just me recycling the stories and characters I read about. This isn't a bad thing--this imitation of other writers. It's how we learn, and I believe most writers start off that way.

For example, my first novel (which I wrote at age 13, when I was in the height of this story-stealing phase) actually started out as fan fiction of the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. When I realized I couldn't really a call a story my own when I was basically copying another writer's world, I changed the species of my characters from squirrels to humans, and thought that in doing so I had broken free into new original territory. I hadn't. In fact, when I thrust that poorly written and decidedly horrid manuscript onto some of my friends after I'd finished it, begging them for feedback, more than one handed it back saying, "You know, you write a lot like Brian Jacques. Ever hear of him?" Palm to the face. Palm. To. The. Face. Apparently, changing the species of my cast wasn't enough to qualify me for  true originality. But I would learn.




So anyway, all this to say, I've come a long way from that sad, beloved first novel in terms of ideas and inspiration and finding my own unique voice. If you're a young or newly developing writer, here are some ways you can begin to do that too, and places where you might draw your inspiration. Then, armed like Benjamin Franklin out to catch a lightning bolt, you can set out to catch your story.


Four Places Where Inspiration Might Strike

1
What interests you?

It's pretty basic, but it's so important. You have to love your story material. You have to be passionate not only about the characters and the plot, but about the world, the settings, the props, the activities. 

I sometimes miss this as I'm writing. For example, I need my character (oh, let's call her Kate) to have a little more backstory to her. I want her to play some sport at school, perhaps. My natural inclination is to  make my characters different from me (I don't know why) so I'd likely assign her to something like basketball or lacrosse, two sports about which I know nothing. Now, I could take the time to learn, to research these things--and that's good. That's fine. You can totally do that. Writing should stretch you and bring you to new places, learning new information. But if I stop and just think for a minute, I'll realize that making Kate a soccer player will be a much stronger move. I'm a soccer player. I adore soccer. I'm one of those scream-at-the-television kind of soccer fans. So when I plop Kate down on the soccer pitch, I suddenly feel more passionate about her character, because I can relate to her passion for The Beautiful Game. I learn things about her I didn't know before--that she's highly competitive, that maybe she loses her head a bit in the heat of the game, that she's fiercely loyal to her teammates. And I know these things because when I think about soccer, I feel them myself or have known teammates who were like this. When I think about lacrosse or basketball, I feel nothing. Blah. Whatever. 

By simply going in the direction of what interests me, I find so much more emotion, experience, and passion to draw from as I write, whether it's something as small as adding another hobby to my character's repertoire or coming up with a completely new, big story idea.


I mean, look how passionate soccer players are. Awesome.



The Magic Question

I borrow this phrase from the theatre, though I think it might originally come from psychology or something. Whatever. Anyway, it's simply this: 


"What if _________?" 

I love this. It's so open, so filled with possibility. What if the world weren't actually made of rock and dirt, but it's actually some giant sleeping creature that starts to wake up? What if when you take a photograph you're actually creating a new alternate reality that begins inside that picture? What if my long-lost grandmother suddenly appeared and told me I was the princess of a tiny, wealthy kingdom in Europe? Oh, wait... You get the idea. 

The key is to hold nothing back. Let it all spill out--the silly ideas, the impossible ideas, the ideas that will never go anywhere. This can be done as a kind of exercise in creativity. You have to be willing to sound a bit ridiculous, a little crazy. But there are no truly bad ideas or stupid ideas--they're just ideas. They're not even stories yet. But they could be--somewhere in the dozens and dozens of What if? questions you pour out, there just might be a golden ticket to story inspiration.





What terrifies you?

What's your greatest fear? What's that one subject you always avoid because it makes your blood turn cold and your chest constrict and your skin crawl? Is it the dark? It is spiders? Is it the thought of being alone in a strange place? 

Use your fears to bring real tension to your story. If you write about something you are afraid of, it will be much easier and more organic to translate that fear into your writing. 

For example, one of my fears is death, and especially of losing someone I love. This is a fear I drew on in writing ORIGIN; it's a topic Pia contemplates to some depth. I relate to her through her fear of losing her loved ones more than anything else, because I understand it. 

Building real, personal fears into your story not only makes it relatable to you, but probably to a lot of your readers as well. I'd say most of our fears are pretty commonly held by the majority of people--death, darkness, loneliness, etc. Fear makes your characters human. It makes them vulnerable, gives them that all-important Achilles heel. Once you know their deepest fear, you can exploit it--twist the knife in the heart, so to speak. Pry into their fear and force them to face it in a dramatic way.



*Zephyrance - don't wake me up. / Foter.com / CC BY-ND


4
History, Science, Art

The world is burning with untold stories. As writers, our primary concern is seeking out those stories and telling them. Sometimes inspiration doesn't necessarily begin with us, as in the previous points. Sometimes, it comes from outside--from a painting, a poem, a news story, a stranger sitting on a park bench. 

Mary Oliver said, "I think our duty as writers begins not with our own feelings, but with the power of observing." Exposing yourself to art, to history, science, nature, whatever, can be a great way to find a story. The key here is to always be alert.




Keep the Magic Question always in your pocket. No, scratch that. Don't keep it in your pocket--wear it like a pair of glasses, through which you're always seeing the story stuff of the world. Look at history this way--What if Abraham Lincoln were really a vampire slayer? Look at science. What if, ten years from now, invisibility technology becomes viable? And art. One of my favorites! (Hence my massive Pinterest collection). Photography, painting, sculptures, gosh--did you know they've got whole museums packed with the stuff? Good art not only comes from good inspiration--it's also becomes inspiring to others. And there's bookoos of it out there, so you've got no excuse, really, to not be inspired--especially if, like the good little writer you are, you're wearing your MQ glasses.




34 comments:

  1. I never thought about using fear as a place to start a story- duh!! That's such a simple but great idea, I think I'm going to use that for my next story- thank you Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Paula! Good luck with your writing. =)

      Delete
    2. How to have your husband back home with your kids again

      I'm a lady with 2 kids i am from USA, my husband leave me and his 2 kids for about 10 months i go through a lot of pain i do all i could to make him returned to me and to his kids but nothing works out. it was really a stressful period to me because i could dint go through the heartbreak. i was told to get a love spell doctor contacted to help me out which i did i was lucky to get DR.PEPOKO Contact who was able to help me out, he cast up a love spell that brought back my husband to me and to his kids thanks so much DR. PEPOKO I really appreciate what you have done for me. here he his contact if you may required for it by solving your relationship email. Pepokospiritemple@gmail.com or you can call and whatssap him +2348156148821
      Here is also Dr. PEPOKO website you can visit it yourself www.pepokospiritemple.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. Yeah Jessica this is a great list! I've never thought about using my fears before and I'm not sure why! I love these quotes too. I used to think I was soooo observant before I started actually trying to write everything down, turning it and twisting it into a story. Good reminder that stories are all around us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! I love the magic question and I think I drive my husband crazy because I ask it ALL the time! Maybe the reason I don't have many story ideas from that is because he usually turns them down, lol. I'm going to start writing them down and keeping them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Jess! Super helpful and lots of great points - love it :D x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great tips, Jessica! I can especially relate to number 1. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seriously love this article! I'm working on a book right now that has characters very similar to me and I'm finding a lot more passion in writing the story than I would if they had been polar opposite. Thank you for writing this, I will be taking all you've said to heart!

    aliyamcreynolds.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this article. Gave me some good information to incorporate in my novice writings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Jessica, I just found this article through pinterest and it really helped me alot! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just like Hati, I've found your article through Pinterest pin, and I'm glad I did! Thank you for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this post! I grew up reading Brian Jacques, so my first stories also had a heavy flavor of his writing and dialogue style. *sheepish grin*

    I appreciate your first point about giving your character an interest that's also your own. I tend to write about characters who are in very different stages of life/situations/careers than mine, so it's hard to share anything with them. I'll try to remember to look for any possible way to give them one of my interests, in some form. I also appreciate the similar point about giving your character one of your fears. In my WIP, I unintentionally gave my MC the fear of being incapable/weak, which is probably my biggest underlying fear. The more I learn about her, the more I realize how much she's like me -- and almost entirely by accident. :) I hear so much about "write what you know," so this is a good reminder that even if the "big things" (career, location, etc.) can't be what I know, I can still insert parts of me into any character. Thanks for a great article! Definitely re-pinning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Jessica, I have a problem with introducing new characters.my heroine and my villain have all the space in my head,it is so hard creating others

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Jessica, I have a problem with introducing new characters.my heroine and my villain have all the space in my head,it is so hard creating others

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Jessica, I have a problem with introducing new characters.my heroine and my villain have all the space in my head,it is so hard creating others

    ReplyDelete
  14. It will be useful or convenient to reveal the unique and diverse places in which we can find our lost inspiration. Let's finally understand how to find your lost inspiration, when you're unnerved and distempered!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Me and my ex-husband at all times have always tried to stay friendly over again after our divorce which occurred in early Jaunary this year. So i met with this spell caster called Dr aluda on the internet after a long search. And he told me everything that i needed to do, and he also assured me that he is going to reunite us in just 48 hours later after his spell casting. So he started his work on Monday 27th January . You are not going to believe this. He is back!!! Yes, he really came back in 48 hours just as you guaranteed Sir. Now I'm fully persuaded that you are a legit and authentic spell caster and your website is the best i have ever come across. This is so mind-boggling for me. Anthony is back!!! I haven't by any means experienced something like this before. Thank you so much Dr aluda. I never expected such a result. Dream come true. Wow! You were so kind with me. “And may your kindness float back to you like ripples that float back to sea shore”. Thank you Sir for your precious help. I have never been so happy in my life like the way i am today. You are a genuine spirit.You and your work will never be forgotten for making me a fulfilled woman and reuniting me and my ex husband once again.. You are my hero.. The kids are overjoyed to have their father come back home for good. Sir here i am sharing your testimony just as i promised. here is his email address: aludaspelltemple@gmail.com or call and whasapp him on +2348063930531
    Jamila Anthony
    From USA

    ReplyDelete
  16. there is this great spell caster in the states i just met through a friends description, and he have just helped me to get back my husband who left me for 2 years, I am so glad that i met with this spell caster, he is just in the US to help people and i am among those he have helped and i am telling you to also go and get hold of your own solution as he shall soon be living the the States, he said he was in the STATES to help his client. So i met with him and told him about how my husband left me.
    I visited his email address, after a friend talked about how she got help from him. After contacting him, then I found out he is currently in the US.
    It is even because his spell is so strong that is why someone invited him over, And through this medium he has brought home my husband with this spell powers. I contacted him, not up to 2 days, he told me that after 24 hours my husband would return back to me, and that day I was at work when my husband (Collins Mark toddle) called and said he is in the house,and i was so surprise when i really saw him and he just ask me to forgive him so that was how Dr aluda helped me to get my husband back to me so his email address is aludaspelltemple@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348063930531 if you still want him to help you solve your problems for you
    I am Benson Toddle.

    ReplyDelete
  17. BE CAREFUL HERE MANY OF THE DOCTORS HERE ARE SCAM,MOST TESTIMONIES OF MOST SPELL CASTER HERE MUST BE IGNORE.BECAUSE THEY ARE SCAM I MEAN REAL SCAM WHICH I WAS A VICTIM.I GOT RIPPED OF THREE THOUSANDS DOLLARS BY 4 CASTERS BECAUSE I WAS SO ANXIOUS TO GET MY WIFE BACK AFTER SHE LEFT ME FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS WITH OUR 4 YEARS OLD SON JERRY,, I HAVE PAID OVER $3000 ON SPELL CASTING AND COURIER AND NOTHING HAVE WORK FOR ME UNTIL ONE FAITHFUL DAY I GOT IN CONTACT WITH MADAM SOLUTION WHO DID WHAT I CALLED MAGIC BECAUSE I CONTACTED HER ON FRIDAY AND AFTER GIVEN HER MY DETAILS AND $245 FOR THE SPELL CASTING MY WIFE CALLED ME ON SUNDAY AND NOW WE ARE BACK TOGETHER AGAIN IF YOU NEED SIMILAR HELP THEN CONTACT HER NOW VIA EMAIL AT (magic.lovespel@reincarnate.com).or (mama.anitaspellcraft@hotmail.com) or (mamaanita.lovespellsolution@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the website I read about Doctor Ilekhojie and contacted him to help me get my ex boyfriend back to marry me during the month of May this year and I have come back here to post about him. Doctor Ilekhojie will help you solve your problem no matter what you are going through. Posting about a spell caster is very strange to me because I never believed i will be able to say that I was helped by a spell caster in bringing my ex boyfriend back to me after 3 years of no contact. I read about Doctor Ilekhojie from other websites and contacted him to help me and in less than 48 hours my ex boyfriend called me and I was happy that he wants to get back to me. We met on Friday and he proposed to me,... It was the most beautiful ring. Please everyone out here, Contact Doctor Ilekhojie to solve your problem for you and make you happy with your relationship that is hurting you. Love is the best feeling ever experienced. Email him at gethelp05@gmail.com or directly on whats App him +2348147400259

    ReplyDelete

  19. HOW I GOT MY EX HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF DR Ilekhojie .......My name is Robert Jennifer, from Canada, I want to quickly tell the world that there is a real and effective online spell caster that is powerful and genuine, His name is Dr Ilekhojie , he helped me recently to reunite my relationship with my husband who left me, When i contacted Dr Ilekhojie, he cast a love spell for me, and my husband who said he doesn't have anything to do with me again, called me and started begging me to come back. he is back now with so much love and care. Today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the powers to restore broken relationship and bring them back. because i am now very happy with my husband. To everyone who is reading this article and needs his help, Dr Ilekhojie can also offer any type of help like, resolving Divorce Cases, Court Cases, Death Spell, Spiritual protection. Thank you! Ilekhojies contact gethelp05@gmail.com or call +2348147400259

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want to quickly tell the world that there is a real and effective online spell caster that is powerful and genuine, His name is Dr Ilekhojie , he helped me recently to reunite my relationship with my husband who left me, When i contacted Dr Ilekhojie, he cast a love spell for me, and my husband who said he doesn't have anything to do with me again, called me and started begging me to come back. he is back now with so much love and care. Today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the powers to restore broken relationship and bring them back. because i am now very happy with my husband. To everyone who is reading this article and needs his help, Dr Ilekhojie can also offer any type of help like, resolving Divorce Cases, Court Cases, Death Spell, Spiritual protection. Thank you! Ilekhojies contact gethelp05@gmail.com or call +2348147400259

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is my testimony about the good work of Dr Fasoya who help me, I'm Grace from Italy And am sorry for putting this on net but i will have to, by this world top spell caster that brought back my husband who left me out for past 3 years, i eventually met this man on a blog site posting by one of is client for help, My husband gave out all the signs that he was having an affair but I chose to live in denial and ignore them. He treated me poorly and stopped showing me the love and affection that got me in love with him in the first place

    i explained everything to him and he told me about a spell caster that he had heard about and he gave me an email address to write to the spell caster to tell him my problems In just 2 days, my husband was back to me, I just want to say thank you to this truthful and sincere spell caster, sir all you told me have come to pass and thank you sir, Please i want to tell everyone who is looking for any solution to their problem, i advice you to kindly consult this spell caster, he is real,he is powerful and whatever the spell caster tell is what will happen, because all what the spell caster told me came to pass You can kindly contact him on: his email address is (Fayosasolusionhome@gmail.com) or directly on whats-app +2348151918774

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi viewers, I'm posting this Because i found lots of people having marriage problems which I also experienced. I recently found help from a man called Dr. Oselumen he did a great job that made my man fell back in love with me again after ten months of separation. I want you to know there are fake online spell Dr .s if someone out there needs help, can email this great spell caster, droselumen@gmail. com check or connect with him on WhatsApp +2348054265852. He will give you the best result.
    CONTACT HIM FOR ANY KIND OF HELP,MONEY SPELL,LOTTERY SPELL,PREGNANCY SPELL,DIVORCE SPELL,SPELL TO STOP COURT CASE AND WIN ANY COURT PROBLEM,DEATH SPELL,BUSINESS SPELL,HEALING SPELL,SPELL TO REMOVE BLACK MAGIC OUT FROM YOUR LIFE,FAMILY AND MARRIAGE PROBLEM.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pastaruosius 4 metus ir 5 mėnesius kankinausi nuo herpeso, ir nuo to laiko aš gydiausi serijas, tačiau padėtis nepagerėjo, kol nepastebėjau Dr.ogalos liudijimų, kaip jis išgydė skirtingus žmones iš skirtingų ligų visame pasaulyje, tada susisiekiau ir su juo. Po mūsų pokalbio jis man atsiuntė vaistų, kuriuos vartojau pagal jo nurodymus. Kai baigiau vartoti vaistažoles, nuėjau pasitikrinti ir, mano nuostabai, išgydžiau nuo herpeso. Mano širdis tokia pripildyta džiaugsmo. Jei kenčiate nuo herpeso ar kitos ligos, šiandien galite susisiekti su Dr.ogala šiuo el. Pašto adresu: Drogalad02@gmail.com WhatsApp arba paskambinkite jam telefonu +2347049668119

    :: JIS taip pat gali jums padėti atliekant šį procesą:
    1) DIABETAS ,, 2) JEI NORIU MEILĖS GRĮŽTI ,, 3) ŽIV-AIDS ,, 4) Šlapimo infekcija,
    5) B HEPATITAS IR IMPOTENCIJA ,, 6) NETEKIMAS / NETEKIMYBĖ ,, 7) PRIEMONĖ ,, 8) ASTHMA ,, 9) Jei jums reikia vaiko visapusiško bet kokio tipo ligų gydymo, atsiųskite el. Laišką adresu: drogalad02@gmail.com ..
    Skambinkite telefonu +2347049668119 ..

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have been suffering from Herpes for the past 4 years and 5 months, and ever since then i have been taking series of treatment but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr.ogala on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him as well. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which I took according to his instructions. When i was done taking the herbal medicine i went for a medical checkup and to my greatest surprise i was cured from Herpes. My heart is so filled with joy. If you are suffering from Herpes or any other disease you can contact Dr.ogala today on this Email address: Drogalad02@gmail.com WhatsApp or call him on +2347049668119

    :: HE CAN ALSO HELP YOU WITH THIS PROCESS ::
    1) DIABETES ,, 2) IF YOU WANT YOUR LOVE BACK ,, 3) HIV-AIDS ,, 4) URINARY INFECTION,
    5) HEPATITIS B AND IMPOTENCE ,, 6) BARENESS / INFERTILITY ,, 7) DIARRHEA ,, 8) ASTHMA ,, 9) If You Need A Child Comprehensive Treatment of Any Type of Illness Email via: drogalad02@gmail.com, Call at +2347049668119 ..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstances. I give God all the glory for bringing Lord Zakuza into my life for helping me get my wife back that got me divorced for one year. I was the last person on earth to accept the fact that spells exist or work not until I was referred to Lord Zakuza online to who has helped so many people with his powerful spells. I had no other option than to give it a try because 3 months after the divorce, I was demoted at my place of work due to depression for I don't know what to do to get her back but thank God today for using Lord Zakuza to get my happiness and love life back within 48 hours. Just last week here, I was promoted back to my position and I'm here to share my own experience with this man called Lord Zakuza. I don't know what you are going through today but know that in all situation there's always a way out. Lord Zakuza also prepares spells like Lottery spell, job spell, spell to stop a divorce, spell cure for any diseases, protection spell, spell to become successful and wealthy E.T.C. Contact him now for any help via TEXT OR WHATSAPP MESSENGER with: +1 740-573-9483 and Email on: Lordzakuza7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. best spell caster 2020 is Dr Twaha the great wizard from African I want to use this medium to thank him for bringing my ex lover back to me he only told me to provide the items needed for the spell and which I did and he told me that after he got the items in 24 hours I will start seeing the result and truly is a man of his words,,, contact him today and get your problem solve he can help you with any problems …. Email him.
    (drlregbeyen10000@gmail.com
    you can also reach him on WhatsApp +2349038518881

    ReplyDelete
  27. My husband and I were going through a separation, after 9 years of marriage. I have seen that coming due to his reaction towards me. And I was about losing my home, then I had to contact Dr. Sunny, the love spell caster who cast powerful marriage blessings that reunited our marriage back together and also made our union stronger than as it were before. All thanks to Dr. Sunny for reuniting my home back we are living happily now contact Dr. Sunny for any marital problem's thanks to you Dr. Sunny you can contact Dr. Sunny via email solutioncentre911@gmail.com  call or  WhatsApp Dr. Sunny mobile number +2349056393169  

    ReplyDelete

  28. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  29. DO YOU NEED A PERSONAL/BUSINESS/INVESTMENT LOAN? CONTACT US TODAY VIA WhatsApp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    HELLO
    Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and don’t know which way to go or where to turn? What about finding a reputable Debt Consolidation firm that can assist you in reducing monthly installment so that you will have affordable repayment options as well as room to breathe when it comes to the end of the month and bills need to get paid? Then consider your financial problems over. We Offer LOANS from $3,000.00 Min to $30,000,000.00 Max with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 35 years to pay back the loan secure and unsecured. Our loans are well insured for maximum security is our priority, Our leading goal is to help you get the services you deserve, Our program is the quickest way to get what you need in a snap. Kindly reduce your payments to ease the strain on your monthly expenses
    NO MATTER YOUR CREDIT SCORE. GET YOUR INSTANT LOAN APPROVAL 100% GUARANTEED TODAY VIA WhatsApp:+19292227023 Email: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com


    ReplyDelete
  30. There is a great herbal man called Dr voodoo who can cure Hepatitis B virus and other deadly diseases with the use of natural herbs to cure Hepatitis B virus problems. He is from Africa and he is a great doctor and he can also cure you as well if you are have the problem And other deadly disease and here is email address voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or Whatsapp +2348140120719 HERPES CURE,CANCER CURE,HIV/AIDS CURE,HPV CURE

    ReplyDelete