Monday, July 30, 2012

When You Wish Upon a Star...

When I was four years old, I read Danny and the Dinosaur by Syd Hoff. So enchanted was I with this little book that I decided, then and there, it needed a sequel. And I decided I was the perfect person to write it. So I gathered up some notebook paper, penned my tale, illustrated it, and then stapled it together and plunked it onto my preschool classroom's bookshelf. I also forced all my classmates and teacher to read it. So yes, my writing career began with four-year-old force-fed fan fiction--and I am not ashamed.


Since then, it's been my dream to be a "real" author. I can't tell you how many times I've daydreamed about opening the front door, finding a box, and discovering copies of my first novel inside. It's a moment every writer dreams of. I always wondered what I'd do, whether I'd scream and hug the UPS guy or faint or cry. It was my most cherished dream and the moment I had been anticipating since I was four years old. It was the fantasy my mind drifted into during road trips or math class. You know the scene in the Back to the Future movies when Marty's dad gets a box with his latest sci-fi novel inside? I choked up at that part, you guys. That's how real and deep this dream has been for me.


Today, that dream came true.


As it happened, I didn't hug the UPS guy--probably because I didn't know yet what was in the box. I thought it was just more advance proofs of the book for giveaways on my blog, which was awesome, but not too exciting since I already had some. So I almost didn't open the box at all, thinking I'd wait until later. OH. So glad I didn't wait. I opened the box and I was confused for a moment--ARCs aren't usually that shiny--and then OH! MY! GOSH! THOSE ARE FINISHED HARDCOVERS. Snap them up. Hug them. Cry. Dance a little dance. Rip through them, staring at the ISBN and the acknowledgements and the spine. Tear off the jacket cover to fawn over the binding. The whole shebang, my friends. I have now combed every centimeter of this thing and I am in love. It's like they've just delivered my first child into my hands and I'm counting all the fingers and toes and hairs on its head. AND YOU GUYS. It is perfect. 


So I'm a happy mama. This baby's not leaving my sight for the next month, probably. Unfortunately for you guys, it won't be in stores until September 4th--but hang in there! Check out this free sampler which contains the first three chapters of Origin and pre-order your copy--so when Sept. 4th rolls around, you too can open the front door and find this sitting on the mat:






Engraving on the front binding, under jacket (I obsess over cool bindings, so I definitely squeaked when I saw this):




35 days!!


AND guess what guess what--the ORIGIN book trailer is going to be revealed on MTV's Hollywood Crush blog on Friday! To tease you guys, we're posting stills from the trailer Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Go to the Breathless Reads tumblr at 11am each day for your first shot, and to the Breathless Reads Facebook page at 2pm each day for the second! Then, on Friday, partay time!


Cheers!
Jess

11 comments:

  1. Ahhh! I can't wait to see that baby on my doorstep! :D Sooo happy for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! That's wonderful. *shiny pretty book*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Jessica! So awesome! I am going to live vicariously through you for a moment as I too imagine opening a box with my novel in it. *sigh* *cry* :D

    So deserved! I tried to throw a twitter party in your honor, but I don't think anybody noticed *pout*. Anyway, congrats again. I'll do a little happy dance and dream about my day when I could this too. :D

    p.s. Love the binding. I think embossing is cool too. :D

    Ok. Enough gushing! Go have a party! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! It doesn't get better than that, does it? I can't wait for November when it happens to me with my baby! I told my husband I'm sleeping with a copy of my book for the first few months! LOL. Good for you! So exciting and OMG I can't believe you referenced that Back to the Future scene!!!! I feel the same way about it--always have!!!! Hope your book is a huge success; I am certain it will be! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's wonderful, Jess! I'm so glad your dreams are coming truuuuueeee!!

    And I loved the part about Back to the Future OF COURSE.

    Much love & I can't wait for the trailer on Friday!

    xo
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  6. How totally exciting!!!!! Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh I am so exited can't wait for Origin!!!!!! *takes moment to compose self* This is wonderful. I love the binding, andI'm lookking forward to the trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember reading that book when I was little and I just found it in my parents' basement. Now I have read it to my 3 year old son and he loves it!! Congrats on your debut!

    ReplyDelete